2 of 27: An impromptu decision - Hiking!

2nd Mission Accomplished: Springbrook National Park


It was an unplanned decision. After a few exchanges of messages, three people (two guys + one girl) and a car travelled about 110 km to Springbrook National Park. Halfway driving, I realised that I had forgotten a crucial thing - SALT! Nope, I wasn't talking about the movie but the mineral that composed primarily of sodium chloride (NaCl). 

Why? because there's leeches in Springbrook National Park! My past Girl Guides experience (very little actually) reminded me that salt is actually useful in removing leeches if they managed to feed on you. However, wikipedia says otherwise (info here). 

Our mission for the day was to complete the 'Warrie circuit', which is classified as Class 4 track, 17 km return and needs about 5-6 hours walking time. Well, since this was an impromptu trip, we arrived there at about 1 pm and officially started tracking at 1.30 pm. I have my doubt from the beginning whether I can complete the trip at all! We started at the Tallanbana picnic area and it is recommended to do the track clock-wise. :)


The track, named with the Aboriginal word Warrie, meaning 'rushing water', crosses several creeks and gullies. The track reaches the 'Meeting of the Waters' where all watercourses draining the canyon meet. Well, this is the place where I found the first leech sucking my precious blood from my leg (freaking out and forgotten to take a picture). Ahhh! I was tempted to use my soya sauce that was present in my bag pack (leftovers from take-away sushi!) but I doubt that will work. After a few deep breaths, I dare myself to flick and pull the leech away using a leaf. Say goodbye to the leech! :)

We continued the journey, sometimes jogging along the flat path and most of the time, catching my breath when hiking up on a steady incline. I asked one of the guys, 'Why are you so fast and quick? I have to run to catch up. He said just put one leg in front of the other... LOL! I know that too!

Some of the waterfalls and creeks we passed by:






Finally after 3 hours and 45 minutes, we completed the Warrie Circuit! I feel so happy and proud of myself as I first thought that I will not be able to do this. There was a couple of times when I want to give up. But, I really don't want to be left stranded in the park alone with the leeches! Well, the guys can probably complete the circuit in a shorter duration if not for my frequent resting time and poor stamina. :)

It was definitely a sense of achievement for me! There's picturesque scenery, one overlooking the Gold Coast and the few waterfalls we encountered. And not to forget, leeches too! I found the second one in my shoe!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Following that, we continued our journey to the 'Best of All Lookout'. 


Look at those odd looking trees! Based on the information, the ring of massive, gnarled trunks has grown from a single tree. Over many decades, this tree has undergone a process of coppicing - the dying and regrowing of new stems. The ring of growth encircles the site where a single seed began life some 2000 years ago.

This is what we saw at the 'Best of All Lookout':


That's the border of NSW and Queensland (on the left side peak).



The sharp peak in the middle is Mount Warning (another awesome hiking place too!). Luckily the weather was fine and clear that day, we even managed to see Byron Bay from the platform. This place is definitely worth a visit!

___________________________________________________________________________________

The sun's going to set soon and we made the decision to go to the Natural Bridge for the second time. We first visited Natural Bridge earlier of the day and this time we returned to see the glow worms. Deep in the Numinbah Valley, the Natural Bridge is 30 minutes drive away from Springbrook plateau. The Natural Bridge circuit is about 1 km (return) with long sets of stairs and it is recommended to walk this track in a clockwise direction.

The circuit track takes us through the forest, across Cave Creek and into the arched cave witnessing the waterfall plunging from above.


Waterfall from above!

At night, the cave is illuminated by thousands of glow worms. It was indeed an extraordinary and amazing experience! Just like thousands of stars in the outer space ... well, sort of. It is even better because it's FREE (I paid to see glow worms in NZ!). A word of advice: Just remember to bring torchlight so that you can see during the night walking along the circuit. Halfway driving there, one of the guys asked, 'Emmm... how are we going to walk in the dark?'. Luckily, I have a tiny torch with me! :)


Glow Worms
I tried to take some photos (without flash obviously!) and this is the best I can do. Glow worms are better seen with our naked eyes ...


For the first time ever in my life, I saw a firefly! I was esctatic, hehe! 


After that, we continued our journey back home. I was tired, sore and hungry (a food pit-stop before heading home). I can't even walk properly now, my quadriceps and gluteus muscles are killing me but this adventure is definitely WORTHWHILE! :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tibetan Kitchen

Newmarket Hotel

Milk Cafe, Ashgrove